Are you tired of those buzzing, biting, and bothersome bugs invading your outdoor picnics, camping trips, or just your time in the backyard? Wondering how to enjoy the fresh air without becoming a mosquito’s favourite meal? If yes, we have the solution for you! All you need is a DIY bug spray that is cost-efficient as well as effective.
Have you ever considered what’s really in those store-bought bug repellents? Are you concerned about the chemicals you’re spraying on your skin and breathing in? We certainly were, and that’s why we’ve gathered these 5 fantastic homemade bug spray recipes that use natural ingredients.
So, are you ready to fight those irritating bugs and mosquitoes? If yes, let’s begin this journey without wasting any more time.
Look at all the supplies you’ll need to make big sprays home.
To create your homemade bug spray, you’ll need the following basic tools:
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Mixing bowls
- A funnel
- A spray bottle
- A stirring stick
Gather these readily available materials before starting your bug spray project:
- Distilled water
- Witch hazel or rubbing alcohol
- Essential oils (citronella, lavender, eucalyptus, peppermint, or tea tree)
- Vegetable glycerin (optional for moisturizing)
- Small funnel
Here are the 5 best homemade bug spray recipes for you:
1. Citronella Eucalyptus Bug Spray
Bug spray made with citronella and eucalyptus essential oils
Mix 2 oz of witch hazel, 2 oz of distilled water, and 40-50 drops of citronella and eucalyptus essential oils in a bowl. Stir the mixture well and transfer it to a spray bottle. This spray is excellent for repelling mosquitoes and flies.
2. Lavender Peppermint Bug Spray
Lavender and peppermint bug spray
Combine 2 oz of rubbing alcohol, 2 oz of distilled water, and 40-50 drops of lavender and peppermint essential oils in a mixing bowl. Stir the mixture. Fill it in a spray bottle. Use this spray to keep away ticks and other insects.
3. Tea Tree Lemon Bug Spray
Tea tree and lemon oil bug spray
In a bowl, blend 2 oz of distilled water, 2 oz of witch hazel, and 40-50 drops of tea tree. Then, add a few drops of lemon essential oils. Mix well and transfer the solution into a spray bottle. This bug spray is effective against ants and other crawling pests.
4. Minty Fresh Bug Spray
Bug spray made with rubbing alcohol and peppermint
Mix 2 oz of rubbing alcohol, 2 oz of distilled water, and 40-50 drops of peppermint essential oil in a mixing bowl. Stir the mixture. Fill it up in another bottle. This refreshing spray is great for repelling spiders and beetles.
5. Rosemary Cedarwood Bug Spray
Rosemary and cedarwood oil bug spray
Combine 2 oz of distilled water, 2 oz of witch hazel, and 40-50 drops of rosemary and cedarwood essential oils in a bowl. Stir the mixture well and transfer it to a spray bottle. This bug spray is perfect for deterring fleas and other pests.
When using homemade DIY bug sprays, consider these tips for optimal effectiveness:
- Shake the spray bottle before use.
- Apply the bug spray generously to exposed skin and clothing.
- Reapply the bug spray every few hours or as needed, especially if you’re sweating or swimming.
- Store your bug spray in a cool, dark place to preserve its freshness.
- Always do a patch test before using.
- Keep bug spray out of reach of children and pets.
- Avoid contact with eyes and mouth. In case of accidental contact, rinse with plenty of water.
- If you have a medical condition or are pregnant, consult a healthcare professional before using essential oil-based bug sprays.
Now that you know these easy DIY bug spray ideas, you can stay safe from mosquitoes and bugs. Just say goodbye to store-bought sprays and make one on your own.
Also Read: 5 DIY Fly Repellent Ideas
Samantha Johnson is a passionate writer and enthusiast for creative projects and innovative ideas. Specializing in project ideas, she understands the unique interests and cultural nuances that shape our future generation. Whether it’s DIY crafts, home improvement, or technology-based innovations, she seeks out projects that align with the spirit of innovation, resourcefulness, and entrepreneurship. Samantha aims to inspire and empower her readers, helping them explore their creativity and turn their ideas into reality.