In this science experiment, Algae Oil Biodiesel vs Olive Oil Biodiesel, we will find whether algae oil biodiesel is a comparable fuel source with olive oil biodiesel after comparing them based on freezing point, viscosity, and heat combustion.
To determine whether algae oil biodiesel is comparable to olive oil biodiesel based on freezing point, heat combustion, and viscosity.
1. Algae oil biodiesel is, also known as algae biofuel, prepared from corn and sugarcane to produce energy.
2. Algae oil uses algae to produce fuels (energy-rich oils). It is an alternative to liquid fossil fuels.
1. 80 ml of 90% Ethanol Solution
2. 40 ml Olive Oil
3. 40 ml Algae Oil
4. 150 ml Distilled Water
5. 1.4 g Sodium Hydroxide Pellets
6. 40 drops of 0.1 M Acetic Acid
7. 12 pellets of Calcium Chloride
Step 1: To make ethanol biodiesel, you must combine 20 ml of Ethanol with 0.35 grams of Sodium Hydroxide.
Step 2: Stir the solution until it does not get dissolved.
Step 3: Now, take 20 ml of oil and add this to the solution.
Step 4: Heat the solution and stir it well for thirty minutes.
Step 5: Pour the obtained mixture into a test tube. Cover this and leave it overnight.
Step 6: Take a graduated cylinder and pipette the uppermost layer of biodiesel mixture into it.
Step 7: Use a pH strip measures the pH of the biodiesel.
Step 8: To neutralize the biodiesel, add 20 drops of 0.1 M of acetic acid.
Step 9: After this addition, with the help of a pH indicator, measure the pH of the biodiesel that we have prepared.
Step 10: Now, add 6 pallets of Calcium Chloride into the mixture of biodiesel and stir it well.
Step 11: Our first test will be for Heat Combustion. For this, puncture a hole in the base of an aluminum can and below the rim of a small and large can. Now, record the change in the heat of the water.
Step 12: Next is the viscosity test. For this, you need to take three long-necked funnels. Pour each of the three liquids, olive oil biodiesel, distilled water, and algae oil biodiesel, separately through these funnels.
Step 13: Record the time each liquid took to drain.
Step 14: Our last test is the freezing point. For this, make an ice bath by mixing ice and rock salt. Put 10 ml of liquid in three test tubes. Place each test tube into the ice bath.
Step 15: Note the temperature of the biodiesel and its physical attributes.
1. From the experiment, we observed that algae oil biodiesel was less viscous.
2. Algae oil biodiesel has a lower freezing point.
3. Algae oil algae was comparable to olive oil biodiesel.
1. In the previous experiment, it was discussed that olive oil biodiesel could be a good replacement for diesel.
2. So, in this experiment, we tried to find out a replacement for olive oil biodiesel.
3. The freezing point, heat combustion, and viscosity were the dependent variables for the experiment, while different kinds of oil were the independent variables.
4. The result that we got in this experiment indicated that the algae oil biodiesel is comparable to olive oil biodiesel in terms of viscosity, heat combustion, and freezing point.
1. Take help from the lab assistant.
2. The funnel should have a long neck for better results.
This experiment, Algae Oil Biodiesel vs Olive Oil Biodiesel, determines whether the algae oil biodiesel is comparable to olive oil biodiesel in terms of combustion, viscosity, and freezing point.
VIVA Questions With Answers
Q.1 What was the aim of your experiment?
ANS. We aimed to determine, based on freezing point, heat combustion, and viscosity, whether algae oil biodiesel is comparable to olive oil biodiesel or not.
Q.2 Does algae oil biodiesel comparable to olive oil biodiesel?
ANS. Most positively, yes. We find algae oil biodiesel comparable to olive oil biodiesel.
Q.3 What is algae oil biodiesel?
ANS. Algae oil biodiesel is, also known as algae biofuel, prepared from corn and sugarcane to produce energy.
Saquib Siddiqui is a Mechanical Engineer and a content creator. He has special interest in science experiments and teaches the same to school and college students. He is also a technical lead at RUDE LABS PVT. LTD.