In this science experiment, we will find the best conductor of electricity among four salt species in the solutions. The motive of our experiment is to build a tesla coil that has a saltwater tank capacitor. While generally, coil builders use sodium chloride in the tank.
To find out the best salt species that can be used as the best conductor of electricity in solution.
1. We hypothesized that the monovalent salt would prove to be less effective than the divalent salt.
2. The concentration and temperature affect the conductivity of a solution. Therefore, it is very important to control these factors while performing this experiment.
1. 0.1 M solution of Calcium Chloride (CaCl2)
2. 0.1 M solution of Sodium Chloride (NaCl)
3. 0.1 M solution of Sodium Sulfate (Na2So4)
4. 0.1 M solution of Sodium Bicarbonate (NaHCO3)
6. EC meter
Step 1: Take 0.1 molar solution of each of the two Diavalent solutions and two Monovalent solutions such as Calcium Chloride, Sodium Bicarbonate, Sodium Chloride, and Sodium Sulfate.
Step 2: Dilute these solutions at 0.01M and 0.001 M.
Step 3: Make five replicates of each of the four salts at each of the three concentrations.
Step 4: Measure the Electrical Conductivity values of each salt using an EC meter.
Step 5: Before measuring replicate values of EC, calibrate the meter with two standard solutions, that is, 12.88 mS and 1.413 mS, each time.
Step 6: Record your observation in the notebook.
1. From our observation, we obtained a list of salt solutions that ranked highest to lowest in terms of average EC values.
2. The list goes like Calcium Chloride, Sodium Sulfate, Sodium Chloride, and Sodium Bicarbonate.
3. From the small range and little variation, we find almost no or little variation between the value of replicate salt solutions.
1. The hypothesis in which we assumed that divalent salts like Calcium Chloride and Sodium Sulfate would have higher Electrical conductivity values than that of monovalent salts like Sodium Hydrogencarbonate and Sodium Chloride proved to be right.
2. Among all four salts, at 0.1 M, Calcium Chloride had the highest electrical conductivity value.
3. At all three concentrations, Sodium chloride had higher electrical conductivity values than Sodium Hydrogen carbonate.
4. We also observed a slightly different relationship between the concentration and conductivity of salt solutions.
5. The main aim, which was to find the most suitable salt for the Tesla coil, was CaCl2. Instead of using sodium chloride in a Tesla coil, One should use Calcium Chloride.
6. However, for more safety, try replacing CaCl2 with NaHCO3, which is a poor conductor.
7. In our further experiment, we will try to perform this experiment with trivalent salt like Aluminum Chloride (AlCl3).
1. Perform your experiment cautiously.
2. You can take help from your teacher or lab assistant.
In this experiment, the best conductor of electricity among four salt species that can be used in a tesla coil based on their electrical conductivity values. Here we find that calcium chloride could be used as a better conductor of electricity than sodium chloride in a tesla coil.
Q.1 What was the aim of your experiment?
ANS. We aimed to determine the best salt species that can be used as the best conductor of electricity in a tesla coil solution.
Q.2 Which salt should be used in building a good saltwater capacitor for a Tesla coil?
ANS. Calcium Chloride can be used in building good saltwater capacitors for a tesla coil.
Saquib Siddiqui is a Mechanical Engineer with expertise in science projects and experiments. Saquib’s work focuses on integrating scientific concepts with practical applications, making complex ideas accessible and exciting for learners of all ages. In addition to his practical work, Saquib has authored several articles, research papers, and educational materials.