In this experiment, we will be determining whether it is possible to create a source of energy through a cold nuclear fusion reaction.
If it is possible to create an energy source using a cold nuclear reaction, then it could provide limitless energy for many years.
Scientists stated that this cold fusion reactor will take only ten feet of Lake Michigan to produce enough power for the whole United States for 1500 years. And it will run only on water.
We are performing this experiment similar to Dr Fleischmann and Dr Pons.
To determine if it is possible to create an energy source using a cold nuclear reaction.
1. When two nuclei merge together to form a single nucleus, it emits a lot of energy. And this reaction is termed nuclear fusion reaction.
2. Nuclear cold fusion reaction is a hypothesised nuclear reaction in which a fusion reaction occurs at room temperature and normal pressure.
1. Deuterium oxide,
2. A jar,
4. Two electrodes which are the platinum anode, palladium cathode,
5. Regular water,
Step 1: Pour deuterium oxide into a jar.
Step 2: Insert a thermometer into this jar.
Step 3: Insert two electrodes connected to the power supply into this jar.
Step 4: Send electricity to the deuterium oxide.
Step 5: Repeat this experiment two more times with seawater, and regular water.
Step 6: Record your observations.
1. Deuterium oxide broke down into oxygen and deuterium.
2. After getting ionized by electrons, atoms moved to the electrodes that had a charge opposite to them.
3. Oxygen was negatively charged, it moved to the positive anode platinum). While deuterium was positively charged, it moved to the negative cathode (palladium).
4. If the experiment had been successful, then the deuterium got concentrated on palladium. And this concentration would cause the nucleus to touch one another, forming the bond between two deuterium atoms. At last, this process would have released a lot of energy.
1. We found that the deuterium had increased the temperature only by 1 degree Fahrenheit.
2. We collected the gas and burned which showed the absence of stable helium. This means that stable helium did not get produced in the process.
3. This indicates that no fusion reaction took place during the experiment as the deuterium had not condensed enough to perform a fusion reaction.
1. Use gloves and goggles to perform this experiment.
2. Use lithium salt instead of table salt in the electrolyte solution.
3. Record your observation carefully.
In this experiment, we determined if it is possible to create an energy source using a cold nuclear fusion reaction.
Q.1 What was the aim of your experiment?
ANS. To determine if it is possible to create an energy source using a cold nuclear reaction.
Q.2 What was the result of your experiment?
ANS. No fusion reaction took place during the experiment as the deuterium had not condensed enough to perform a fusion reaction.
Q.3 Why should one use lithium salt instead of table salt in an electrolyte solution?
ANS. Lithium salt improves the conductivity of electrolyte solution as a result chances for fusion reaction increase.
Q.4 Oxygen and deuterium moved to which side of the electrode?
ANS. The atoms of oxygen and deuterium moved to that side of the electrode which had opposite charges. This means that negatively charged oxygen moved to the positive anode while positively charged deuterium moved to the negative cathode.
Q.5 What do you understand about cold fusion?
ANS. A nuclear cold fusion reaction is a hypothesized nuclear reaction in which a fusion reaction takes place at room temperature and normal pressure.
An Indian nuclear physicist, founding director, and professor of physics at the Tata Institute of Fundamental Research.