In this experiment, we will be verifying Faraday’s Law with the help of a strong heavy-duty magnet and by verifying the number of coils. We will see the amount of electric current created by passing the magnet through the coils at different speeds.
To verify Faraday’s Law of electromagnetic induction.
1. Whenever the flux of the magnetic field passes through the area of closed conducting surface changes, an emf (electromagnetic force) is induced in the loop. This produced emf is given by
Ɛ = – N(dФ/dt)
Where Ɛ is emf,
Ф is magnetic flux,
N is the number of coils, and
t is the time taken.
2. Faraday’s law says that an electric current is generated by passing a strong magnet through the coil of a wire.
1. 32 Gauge Wire
2. Strong Magnet
Step 1: Wind 32 gauge wire in two coils having 200 turns and 400 turns.
Step 2: Pass a strong magnet through each of the coils.
Step 3: Using a galvanoscope, measure the amount of electricity generated by moving a magnet through the coil.
Step 4: To determine the difference in generated current, repeat the process by moving the magnet through the coil at a different speed.
Step 5: Record your observations.
1. As we passed the magnet through the coil, the current was obtained as predicted by Faraday’s law.
2. Current is generated by passing the magnet through a different coil, as predicted by Faraday’s law.
1. The more the number of coils, the greater the current generated.
2. The faster we pass the magnet through the coil, the greater the current generated.
1. Wire should be long enough to make a coil.
2. Use a strong magnet for the experiment.
3. Carefully record your observations.
In this experiment, we have verified Faraday’s law, in which a current flows in a coil by passing the magnet through the coil.
VIVA Questions With Answers
Q.1 What was the aim of your experiment?
ANS. We aimed to verify Faraday’s law.
Q.2 How can one generate greater current in a coil?
ANS. One can generate a greater current by increasing the number of turns and increasing the speed of the magnet.
Q.3 Who has given Faraday’s law?
ANS. Michelson Faraday has given Faraday’s law.
Q.4 What do you understand about Faraday’s law of electromagnetic induction?
ANS. It says that on passing a strong magnet through the coil of a wire, an electric current is generated.
An Indian physicist and astronomer.