In this experiment, we will be determining the feasibility of a new device called Direct Solar Pool Heater (DSPH) for heating the pool.
We hypothesized two things:
1. The black fabric used in DSPH absorbs more light and reflects less light than the light color wall and bottom of a pool, making the DSPH heat the pool to a greater temperature than without DSPH.
2. Placing the DSPH closer to the surface of the water makes the water heat up instantly than placing it at the bottom of the pool.
To test the feasibility of a Direct Solar Pool Heater for heating the pool.
1. DSPH stands for Direct Solar Pool Heater. It is used for heating the water of the pool.
2. It uses black fabric for absorbing light.
3. It contains heat exchangers or pipes which protect the heat loss.
4. DSPH operates without electricity and natural gas.
1. A bathtub,
2. Six 1300 lumen floodlights,
3. Three small DSPH disks,
4. Vernier LabPro,
5. Tl-83 calculator,
Step 1: Create three DSPH using black nylon fabric, which is stretched over a ring, and fit three buoy sticks for making them suspend at the desired water depth.
Step 2: Use a bathtub to simulate the pool.
Step 3: Use six 1300-lumen floodlights to simulate the sun.
Step 4: For collecting data from two different depths, connect two temperature probes to a Tl-83 calculator and a Vernier LabPro.
Step 5: Conduct four experiments (light and DSPH, no light but DSPH, light but no DSPH, no light and no DSPH) under normal room and water temperature.
Step 6: Record the temperature at an interval of thirty minutes for twelve hours for each of the experiments.
Step 7: Record your observations.
1. In experiment one (light and DSPH), we obtained the highest temperature increase up to 1.071 degrees celsius. And this experiment confirmed our first hypothesis in which we assume that the Pool with DSPH records the maximum temperature than the pool without DSPH in it.
2. In the third experiment (light but no DSPH), the temperature increase was less than in the first one.
3. On comparing experiments one and three, we observed that on using DSPH, the bottom water temperature increased by 0.169 degrees celsius, and the surface water temperature increased by 0.221 degrees celsius. And this confirmed our second hypothesis, in which we assumed that using the surface water temperature heats up more than the bottom water temperature
1. Our hypothesis proved right.
2. Using DSPH, the pool water temperature recorded the maximum increase in temperature.
3. Using DSPH, the surface water temperature of the pool recorded more temperature than the bottom water temperature.
4. DSPH is affordable and takes less effort to use and maintain, which makes it better than natural gas and conventional solar pool heating systems.
In this experiment, we demonstrated the effectiveness of a Direct Solar Pool Heater. It absorbs sunlight using a black fabric disk and transfers it to pool water. As a result, it increases the temperature of pool water.
Q.1 What was the aim of your experiment?
ANS. We aimed to test the feasibility of a Direct Solar Pool Heater for heating the pool.
Q.2 How does the DSPH heat water temperature?
ANS. DSPH consists of black fabric which absorbs the sunlight and transfers it to pool water. In this way, it heats the water temperature.
Q.3 How does the DSPH reduce the consumption of energy?
ANS. DSPH does not use any type of external energy source for heating. As a result, it reduces energy consumption and the chance of an energy crisis in the future.
Q.4 Does the pool with DSPH record more temperature than without DSPH?
ANS. Yes, we observed this in our experiment.
Q.5 Which layer of pool water had the maximum temperature?
ANS. The surface of the pool where the swimmers stayed most of the time had a higher temperature than the bottom surface of the pool.
Saquib Siddiqui is a Mechanical Engineer with expertise in science projects and experiments. Saquib’s work focuses on integrating scientific concepts with practical applications, making complex ideas accessible and exciting for learners of all ages. In addition to his practical work, Saquib has authored several articles, research papers, and educational materials.