Stringed instruments have pieces of wood called soundboards inside them that enhance the sound of the notes played. Therefore, we will perform this experiment to determine does the type of wood used for the board affects the way the notes sound. We will also check if the density, thickness, size, or other factors enhance the sound.
To determine what kind of wood affects the sound of the notes and also check if the density, size, thickness, size, or other factors enhance the sound.
Chordophones or stringed instruments are sound-producing instruments that produce sound by vibrating strings when a player sounds the string in some way. For example, violin, guitar, lute, and Viola.
1. Eight Types of Woods
2. Guitar Strings
3. Tuning Pegs
Step 1: With the help of tuning pegs and guitar strings on different kinds of woods, construct eight soundboards.
Step 2: Capture the wave using an oscilloscope.
Step 3: Test each board five to ten times.
Step 4: Compare the generated data.
Step 5: Also calculate the wood density.
1. We observed that the generated harmonics were clearly connected to the density of the wood in the board.
2. We performed this experiment with one of the densest boards, walnuts. This was not very supportive of the fundamental tone.
3. Production of clear and better quality tones results from the absence of supportive tones.
4. The harmonics of the cedar fence were very supportive because of the least density. Its sound was least pleasing.
1. The dense the boards are, the better sound it produces.
2. The walnut board was one of the densest and thus had the best sound.
3. The cedar fence was the least dense and thus had the worst sound.
4. Production of sound also depends on the presence of grain.
5. The composite board was the densest, but it produced the worst sound because of the presence of grain.
6. The pine board produced less sound because of less density, although it had grains.
7. Also, the enlarged board produces sound better than small boards.
1. Soundboard should be working properly.
2. Record your observation carefully.
This experiment determines does the type of wood used for the board affects the way the notes sound.
VIVA Questions With Answers
Q.1 What was the aim of your experiment?
ANS. To determine what kind of wood affects the sound of the notes and also check if the density, size, thickness, size, or other factors enhance the sound.
Q.2 How was the sound affected by the size of the board?
ANS. The enlarged board produces sound better than small boards.
Q.3 How does the presence of grains affect the sound?
ANS. The more grains on board, the more sound will be produced.
Q.4 Which board produced the best sound?
ANS. The walnut board was one of the densest and thus had the best sound.
Q.5 What is the dependence of the density of the board on the production of sound?
ANS. The dense the boards are, the better sound it produces.
Saquib Siddiqui is a Mechanical Engineer and a content creator. He has special interest in science experiments and teaches the same to school and college students. He is also a technical lead at RUDE LABS PVT. LTD.