In this experiment, we will determine the highest calorie nut, i.e., which nut has the highest caloric content of the given different types of nuts.
To find out which is the highest calorie nut.
We hypothesized that almonds would contain the most amount of calories. Therefore, it will release the most heat and increase the temperature of water instantly.
Different Kinds of Nuts
1. Three beam scale
8. Aluminum coke can
9. Wire paper clip
10. Nut holder
11. A wrought iron vase holder
12. Celsius thermometer
Step 1: Take a three-beam scale and measure the weight of various nuts involved in this experiment with the help of this scale. Those nuts are Pistachios, Almonds, Pecans, Peanuts, and Walnuts.
Step 2: To measure the heat released from those nuts, weigh a certain volume of water in an aluminum can coke container.
Step 3: To accommodate 200mls of water, remove the top portion of the can.
Step 4: With the help of a nut holder, burn the nuts.
Step 5: Fashioned this nut holder from the wire paper clip.
Step 6: Bring an aluminum coke full of water over the burning nut. And to hold this can, use a wrought iron vase holder.
Step 7: With the help of a Celsius thermometer, measure the temperature change of water.
Step 8: Calculate the amount of energy that was used for raising the temperature of water by each nut. Calculate this energy in calories.
Step 9: To calculate the energy in calories, multiply the specific heat of the water by the mass of the water and the temperature difference (that we have calculated previously).
Step 10: Record your observations.
1. After performing the experiment, we observed that Pecan was the one that released the most amount of heat and raised the temperature the most.
2. If we arrange nuts in increasing order to release heat, we will get Pistachio < Peanut < Walnut < Almond < Pecan.
1. The hypothesis in which we assumed that Almonds would release the most heat was incorrect. It was Pecan that released the most heat.
2. The reason for this behavior of Pecans is that the initial weight of Pecans is more than the initial weight of Almonds. Pecan took longer to get burned; as a result, it had enough time to raise the temperature of the water.
3. If we assemble the obtained calories per gram in decreasing order, then we would get the result as given. Almond > Pistachio and Pecan (tie) > Walnut > Peanut.
4. The result could have improved if the heat that was lost in the air and absorbed by the can get captured during the experiment.
5. Nuts are very beneficial in fighting cancer and heart disease.
6. Nuts are a source of caloric content and have many health benefits.
7. Nuts also get used in biotechnology to improve one’s health.
8. These days, nuts can also be used as an automotive fuel by extracting oil from nuts. This oil can be used for running vehicles.
In this experiment, we determined which is the highest calorie nut amongst Pistachios, walnuts, almonds, Peanuts, and Pecans.
VIVA Questions With Answers
Q.1 What was the aim of your experiment?
ANS. We aimed to determine which is the highest calorie nut.
Q.2 Which nut has the highest caloric content per gram?
ANS. Almonds have the highest caloric content per gram.
Q.3 Which nut released the most heat?
ANS. Pistachio released the most heat.
Saquib Siddiqui is a Mechanical Engineer and a content creator. He has special interest in science experiments and teaches the same to school and college students. He is also a technical lead at RUDE LABS PVT. LTD.