In this experiment on kinetic energy, we will be determining whether the weight put inside a cylinder has any effect on its speed when coming down the slope.
To establish a relation between the weight inside a cylinder with the speed when the cylinder travels down a slope.
1. The mass of an object affects the speed of that object which ultimately affects the acceleration.
2. The greater the mass, the more kinetic energy it will provide for rolling motion.
3. The term rolling motion refers to an object which is performing rotation as well as translation.
1. Three Cylinders
5. A Six-meter slope
Step 1: Take a cylinder and put a washer along the perimeter of the cylinder.
Step 2: Push this cylinder from the top of a six-meter slope.
Step 3: Measure the speed of this slope at the end of the slope.
Step 4: Take the second cylinder and stack a washer in the middle of the cylinder.
Step 5: Push the second cylinder from the top of the meter slope.
Step 6: Measure the speed of the second cylinder.
Step 7: Take another (third) cylinder. Remember not to place any washer in this cylinder.
Step 8: Push this empty cylinder from the top of the slope.
Step 9: Measure the speed of the empty cylinder.
Step 10: Record an observation in your notebook for each test you conducted.
1. We observed that the cylinder in which we attached the washer in the middle (center) traveled the fastest.
2. The speed of this cylinder was 1.99 m/sec.
3. The cylinder in which we attached the washer along the perimeter traveled with an average speed of 1.75 m/sec.
4. The cylinder in which we placed nothing traveled the slowest with an average speed of 1.72 m/sec.
1. Each of the cylinders had an equal amount of kinetic energy.
2. The cylinder in which we placed the washer along the perimeter of the cylinder used its kinetic energy just to maintain the rolling motion of the cylinder.
3. The cylinder in which we placed the washer in the center had more kinetic energy, and as a result, it makes the rolling motion easily accomplished.
4. The cylinder in which there was no washer (less mass) had less kinetic energy among the three. Therefore it travelled at a slower speed.
1. Do not place any kind of mass in the third cylinder.
2. Slope should not be smaller than 6 meters.
3. Record your observation carefully.
In this experiment, we determined how the speed of the cylinder gets affected by placing some mass inside the cylinder.
Viva Questions With Answers
Q.1 What was the aim of your experiment?
ANS. We aimed to determine the effect of mass on the speed of the cylinder.
Q.2 Which cylinder traveled with the highest speed and why?
ANS. The cylinder in which the washer was staked in the center of the cylinder traveled faster as the attached mass provided greater kinetic energy.
Q.3 Which cylinder traveled with the lowest speed?
ANS. The cylinder with no mass placed inside traveled at the lowest speed.
Saquib Siddiqui is a Mechanical Engineer and a content creator. He has special interest in science experiments and teaches the same to school and college students. He is also a technical lead at RUDE LABS PVT. LTD.