In this experiment, we will find the mixture of black powder that could create the strongest reaction, which is considered a recipe for disaster.
To find out the mixture of black powder that could yield the greatest and enormous reaction.
1. Black mixture will be the mixture of chemicals like Sulfur, Charcoal, and Potassium Nitrate.
2. We hypothesized that this black mixture in the ratio of 6:4:1 would yield the strongest reaction.
3. Gunpowder is a mixture of Potassium Nitrate, Charcoal, and Sulfur.
2. Potassium Nitrate
Step 1: First, we purchased charcoal, sulfur, and potassium Nitrate from a chemist.
Step 2: We bought mortar, pestle, and all the safety equipment from the science lab of our school.
Step 3: We used different ratios of chemicals to create a mixture of the black powder.
Step 4: We forced them to react after creating the black powder mixtures.
Step 5: We measure the yield of the reaction with the help of reaction time, reaction distance, reaction height, and the unreacted pieces.
Step 6: At last, we recorded our observations.
A Mixture of Potassium Nitrate, Sulfur, and Charcoal
1. The greatest reaction yielded by the mixture of potassium nitrate, sulfur, and charcoal in a ratio of 6:4:1.
2. The reaction with a ratio of 6:4:3 was the fastest reaction among all. But covered the less reaction distance.
3. Apart from this, the other two ratios were not stronger than the reaction’s previously mentioned ratios (6:4:3 and 6:4:1).
1. The hypothesis in which we assumed that the black mixture with a ratio of 6:4:1 would yield the strongest reaction was correct.
2. From the experiment, we found that all four experiments reacted with success. But the one that yielded a larger, stronger, and long-lasting reaction was potassium nitrate, sulfur, and charcoal when reacted in the ratio of 6:4:1.
3. Over a larger time, it produced a larger area, indicating the reaction’s strength. And we learned that the 6:4:1 solution is the strongest of all.
1. Handle all the chemicals with care.
2. Wear gloves and safety glasses.
In this experiment, we created a black mixture and found out which mixture would yield the strongest reaction.
VIVA Questions With Answers
Q.1 What was the aim of your experiment?
ANS. We aimed to create a mixture of black powder and determine which ratio of the mixture would yield the strongest reaction.
Q.2 What chemical did you use in the black powder?
ANS. Potassium Nitrate, Charcoal, and Sulfur.
Q.3 What ratio of the lack mixture yielded the strongest and long-lasting reaction?
ANS. The mixture with a ratio of 6:4:1 yielded the strongest, largest, and long-lasting reaction.
Saquib Siddiqui is a Mechanical Engineer and a content creator. He has special interest in science experiments and teaches the same to school and college students. He is also a technical lead at RUDE LABS PVT. LTD.