In this experiment, we will find if the Oxidation of Dopamine by High-Valent Manganese is a link to Neurodegenerative Disorders. We will determine if the high-valent manganese compounds can oxidize dopamine, which is a neurotransmitter, or not. We will also check whether Cysteine, an amino acid containing sulfur, interferes with the same oxidation.
To determine the Oxidation of Dopamine by high-valent manganese compounds on dopamine. And if Cysteine interferes with the oxidation.
1. The type of neurotransmitter manufactured by the body to send messages between nerve cells.
2. Despite just giving pleasure, it also affects our mood, focus, and memory.
3. A healthy form of dopamine increases motivation, and we feel good for longer.
1. Manganese compound
3. Phosphate buffer or Dl water of pH 7.4
Step 1: Prepare a dopamine solution by adding dopamine in a phosphate buffer or Dl water of pH 7.4.
Step 2: Take 10 mg of a manganese compound.
Step 3: Add this compound to the previously prepared solution of Dopamine.
Step 4: Monitor the electronic absorption spectra and analyze the oxidation products.
Step 5: Add cysteine to this solution. And similarly, as earlier, monitor the reaction.
Step 6: To explore the oxidation mechanism, intervene in the oxidation reactions at various intervals and identify the products with the help of various spectroscopic techniques.
Step 7: Measure the pH of the reaction mixtures.
Step 8: Record your observations
1. From the experiment, we observed that the high valent manganese compounds such as +3 and +4 promoted the rapid oxidations of dopamine. They oxidized dopamine to Neuromine and Aminochrome.
2. The potent neurotoxins DHBTs are produced in the presence of cysteine.
3. Oxidation resulted from the coordination of the dopamine catechol moiety to the center of metal and the transfer of electrons.
1. The result that we obtained in the experiment correlates with the affected areas in the baton of the patient diagnosed with Manganism.
2. The disease Managanism is similar to Perkinson’s disease. This disease is mainly found in miners and welders.
3. Certain activities like the loss of dopamine and cysteine (which is basically a sulfur-containing molecule), enhanced oxidative damage, and the presence of dopamine-derived neurotoxins are linked to Manganism disease.
1. Record your observation carefully.
2. Take help from a teacher or lab assistant.
In this experiment, we determined the Oxidation of Dopamine by a high-valent manganese compound.
Viva Questions With Answers
Q.1 What was the aim of your experiment?
ANS. We aimed to determine the Oxidation of Dopamine by high valent manganese compound.
Q.2 What do you understand about Manganism disease?
ANS. Manganism is a disease of the brain. This neurodegenerative disease caused the excessive accumulation of manganese in tissue.
Q.3 Which type of high-valent compound had the rapid oxidation of dopamine?
ANS. High valent manganese compounds like +3 and +4 had a rapid effect of oxidation on dopamine.
Saquib Siddiqui is a Mechanical Engineer and a content creator. He has special interest in science experiments and teaches the same to school and college students. He is also a technical lead at RUDE LABS PVT. LTD.