In this experiment, we will determine the efficiency of singlet oxygen production of platinum compounds.
1. The measurement of efficiency in which photosynthesizers use light energy to convert oxygen from the ground state to the singlet oxygen, a reactive species O2(1g), is called Singlet Oxygen Quantum Yields. They are used in photodynamic therapy.
2. Quenching refers to the rapid cooling of metal to adjust its mechanical properties.
Platinum (II) Square Complex
4. Excel program
5. Origin program
Step 1: To measure the quantum yields of single oxygen, use a time-resolved Laser Spectroscopy.
Step 2: Prepare the sensitizer solution in benzene.
Step 3: Optically excited about the solution.
Step 4: With the help of a Germanium photodiode detector, detect the singlet oxygen decay.
Step 5: Using Excel and Origin, process the data.
1. From the experiment, we observed that the quantum yields of singlet oxygen were high.
2. We tested the five platinum (II) that ranged between 0.97 and unity.
3. The two Iridium (III) analogs of the Platinum (II) complexes showed lower quantum yields. This ranged from 0.88 and 0.90. The quenching rate exhibited by the complexes was low.
1. The processes that affected the singlet oxygen quantum yields were quenching rate and spin-orbit coupling.
2. The higher singlet oxygen quantum yields of the platinum (II) complexes, when compared to their analogs like Iridium (III), showed that the metal center is the active site for the energy transfer, and they can be affected by the sterics.
1. Laser spectroscopy should be time-resolved.
2. Process the data carefully.
In this experiment, we determined the efficiency of singlet oxygen quantum yield by Platinum Compounds.
Q.1 What was the aim of your experiment?
ANS. To determine the quenching rate and the efficiency of singlet oxygen production of several square planar platinum (II) complexes and the trigonal-bipyramidal Iridium (III) analogs.
Q.2 What do you understand by spin-orbit coupling
ANS. It is also called the spin-orbit effect and spin-orbit interaction. The interaction between electrons’ spin with their orbital motion around the nucleus of an atom is termed Spin-Orbit Coupling.
Q.3 What process affected the singlet oxygen quantum yield?
ANS. Spin-orbit coupling and quenching rates
An Indian nuclear physicist, founding director, and professor of physics at the Tata Institute of Fundamental Research.