In this experiment, we will do a test for hydrogen gas production with the help of solar electrolysis from water. And we will also be finding the factors that can increase the production of hydrogen during hydrolysis.
To produce hydrogen gas from water by using the method called solar electrolysis. And to determine the factors that can increase the production of hydrogen during electrolysis.
1. Solar-powered electrolysis or solar electrolysis is an instrument containing an electrolysis system and photovoltaic panels for producing hydrogen gas compressed in nature. They are used to run buses with fuel cells.
2. Solar energy produces compressed hydrogen gas which in turn generates electricity.
2. Two Inverted Graduated Cylinders
3. Aluminum Foil
4. Solar Panel
Step 1: First of all, we build an electrolyzer. After this, we used copper plates as the electrodes.
Step 2: We performed each of the tests for five minutes.
Step 3: During this, we took two inverted graduated cylinders and collected the hydrogen gas and oxygen gas inside them.
Step 4: Next, we measure the amount of hydrogen that we obtained in the experiment.
Step 5: After this, we tested the variables such as electrolyte, voltage, and temperature of the hydrogen gas.
Step 6: To decrease the voltage of the solar panel, we covered it with aluminum foil.
Step 7: We recorded our observations.
Solar Electrolysis for Hydrogen Production
1. We observed that the lowest solar panels with the lowest voltage, almost 5 Volts produced a very small amount of hydrogen gas that we were unable to measure.
2. At the coldest temperature, the 10 Volts voltage produced 0.5 ml of hydrogen with the highest two solutions of electrolytes.
3. With the highest two solutions of electrolytes, 0.5 ml of hydrogen was produced at the highest temperature.
4. At the middle temperature, we obtained no hydrogen gas.
5. From 1 ml of hydrogen at the lowest and coldest electrolyte solutions to the 2 ml of hydrogen gas at the highest and warmest electrolytes solution, the 15 volts tests were produced.
1. We found that the greater the water’s temperature, the higher its voltage will and the stronger will be the electrolyte. As a result, more amount of hydrogen will be produced
2. The most important factor in my experiment was voltage.
1. Make sure the graduated cylinders do not leak.
2. Observations were recorded carefully.
In this experiment, we created hydrogen gas from water with the help of solar electrolysis and determined the factors that can increase the production of hydrogen gas through electrolysis.
Q.1 What was the aim of your experiment?
ANS. We aimed to determine the factors that can increase the production of hydrogen gas through electrolysis.
Q.2 What factors can increase the production of hydrogen?
ANS. We can increase the production of hydrogen gas through electrolysis by increasing the temperature of the water, increasing voltage, and strong electrolytes.
Q.3 What is the dependence of the production of hydrogen gas through electrolysis on temperature?
ANS. On increasing the temperature of the water, the electrolyte solution was stronger, and the voltage was higher. This increased the production of hydrogen gas.
Saquib Siddiqui is a Mechanical Engineer with expertise in science projects and experiments. Saquib’s work focuses on integrating scientific concepts with practical applications, making complex ideas accessible and exciting for learners of all ages. In addition to his practical work, Saquib has authored several articles, research papers, and educational materials.