In this experiment(The Effect of Titanium Dioxide on Photovoltaic Cells), we will be determining how the efficiency of photovoltaic solar cells gets affected by changing the concentration of TiO2 (Titanium dioxide). We have proved that the compound titanium dioxide affects the dye-based solar cells but have not been tested for photovoltaic cells.
In this experiment, we will test the efficiency using three variables – different types of light, coating thickness, and angle of light.
To test how the changing concentration of titanium dioxide affects the efficiency of photovoltaic solar cells.
1. Titanium dioxide has the formula TiO2, used as a pigment.
2. It is also referred to as titania or titanium (IV) oxide.
3. It is a water-soluble, solid white compound.
4. A photovoltaic solar cell is the one that converts light energy into electrical energy.
Working of a photovoltaic solar cell.
1. Six PVS cells,
2. Solid titanium dioxide,
3. Distilled water,
4. Various light sources such as sunlight, ultraviolet rays etc.,
Step 1: Mix the five concentrations of titanium oxide.
Step 2: Measure the initial temperature of the cell.
Step 3: Paint all six cells with different concentrations of titanium dioxide.
Step 4: Test these cells under different temperatures and at different angles.
Step 5: Wash off all the cells.
Step 6: Again, record the temperature of the cells under different light sources.
Step 7: To reduce the variability, repeat the experiment three times.
Step 8: Standardize the obtained data with the help of some control values.
Step 9: Record your observations.
1. We observed that titanium dioxide boosted the efficiency of photovoltaic cells under almost all the sources of light.
2. The efficiency in sunlight increased by 39%.
3. The efficiency of cells increased under UV rays by 29%.
4. The higher concentration of titanium dioxide increased the efficiency.
5. The 1 mg/l concentration of titanium dioxide affected the cells most.
6. We could not find any relation between the cell angle and the different concentrations of titanium dioxide used.
1. Titanium dioxide does affect the photovoltaic solar cells for good.
2. There should be more testing on a larger level to determine the effect of titanium dioxide on the cell angle.
4. There should be a long term test for the corrosive nature of titanium dioxide.
5. After performing different tests, there is a chance that the titanium dioxide could be used on a larger scale.
1. Took help from someone who could help in supervising lab equipment.
2. Recorded the experiment carefully.
3. Protect the eyes from the chemical.
In this experiment, we have tested the effect of titanium dioxide on the efficiency of photovoltaic cells by changing light angle, coating thickness, and light source.
Q.1 What was the aim of your experiment?
ANS. We aimed to determine how photovoltaic solar cells get affected by titanium dioxide.
Q.2 What is the formula for titanium dioxide?
ANS. The formula for titanium dioxide is TiO2.
Q.3 What is the effect of titanium dioxide concentration on the photovoltaic solar cell?
ANS. The efficiency of photovoltaic solar cells increases with the increasing concentration of titanium dioxide.
Q.4 What is the effect of different light sources on titanium dioxide?
ANS. The efficiency of photovoltaic cells increased by using different light sources on titanium dioxide.
Q.5 How does the angle of incident light on titanium dioxide affect the efficiency of the photovoltaic solar cell?
ANS. There was no effect of the angle of incident light on the efficiency of photovoltaic solar cells.
An Indian nuclear physicist, founding director, and professor of physics at the Tata Institute of Fundamental Research.