In this experiment, we will be determining the kind of sunshade material that is the most efficient automobile sunshade for insulating vehicles parked under the hot sun.
To find out what type of sunshade material is most efficient for insulating vehicles parked under the hot sun.
1. Sun car shades are also known as windshield sunshades, sun-screen shades, heat shields, sun shields, UV shields, and sun car shades.
2. They are the protective shields that are attached to the side window or windshield of the car to terminate the UV light and infrared light reaching inside the car and help in maintaining temperature throughout the journey.
3. Although it blocks UV radiation and infrared radiation from reaching inside the car, it does not block visible light, and this increases the temperature inside the car.
1. Cardboard Box
4. 250-watt Heat Lamp
7. Some insulating materials like bubbles, foam, etc.
Step 1: Using the knife, cut a hole at the top of the cardboard.
Step 2: Cover the hole with plexiglass.
Step 3: Above the plexiglass, suspend the 250-watt heat lamp.
Step 4: Inside the box, 18 cm below the plexiglass, place the insulating material which is to be tested.
Step 5: Make a hole in one of the sides of the cardboard box.
Step 6: From this hole, insert a thermometer centered near the bottom of the box, such that there is no need to open the box to measure temperature.
Step 7: Turn on the heat lamp.
Step 8: Now, measure the temperature readings at 3 minutes intervals for 15 minutes.
Step 9: Test each material at least six times.
Step 10: Between each repetition, open the box and cool it down using a fan.
From our experiment, we concluded that the reflective bubble material was the most effective at keeping the box cooler. And the reflective foam was almost as effective, but after 6 to 7 minutes, it started letting more heat pass from it. This proves that it would be less effective for keeping the vehicle cooler under the sun.
1. Our hypothesis was correct, which means that the reflective bubble material was the most effective in making the box cooler.
2. We have also seen that the cardboard was not the worst sunshade.
3. In our result, every material proved to be useful. Because, in the absence of even the least material, the temperature would reach much higher levels.
1. Cool down the box before repeating your experiment.
2. Do not open the box in the middle of the experiment.
This experiment was all about determining the most effective automobile window sunshade for keeping the car parked under the sun.
Q.1 What was the aim of your experiment?
ANS. To find out the most efficient automobile sunshade for insulating vehicles that are parked under the hot sun.
Q.2 What do you understand about Sun-shade material?
ANS. They are the protective shields attached to the side window or windshield of the car to terminate the UV light and infrared light reaching inside the car and help maintain temperature throughout the journey.
Q.3 What is the result of your experiment?
ANS. We found that the reflective bubble material was the most effective in making the box cooler.
Q.4 What are the other names for automobile sun-shade material?
ANS. The other names are windshield sunshades, sun-screen shades, heat shields, sun shields, UV shields, and sun car shades.
Q.5 Was your hypothesis correct?
ANS. Yes, our hypothesis proved to be correct.
Saquib Siddiqui is a Mechanical Engineer with expertise in science projects and experiments. Saquib’s work focuses on integrating scientific concepts with practical applications, making complex ideas accessible and exciting for learners of all ages. In addition to his practical work, Saquib has authored several articles, research papers, and educational materials.