In this experiment, we will be determining the hair color (redheads, blondes, or brunettes) that can lighten faster under the ultraviolet bulb and the sun.
To find out the hair color, which can be lightened faster in an ultraviolet bulb as well as under the sun among various hair colors.
We hypothesized that the synthetic color would produce no effect on the color of the hair.
Different Types of Hair Colors
1. Four natural colors of hair such as black, light brown, dark brown, and black.
2. Two synthetic colors of hair, such as blonde and red.
6. UV bulb
7. Electric cord
8. Cardboard box
11. Color chart
Step 1: To perform, we used six different colors of hair. Of these six hair colors, four were natural, and two were synthetic. The natural colors of hair were red, dark brown, light brown, and black. At the same time, the synthetic color of hair was red and blonde. Apart from this, all the hair pieces were about 18.5mm long.
Step 2: We used wood, nails, and hinges to build a UV box.
Step 3: After creating the UV box, we put UV inside of it.
Step 4: With the help of an electric cord, we plugged the bulb in.
Step 5: We took a cardboard box and placed hair on it for the second experiment.
Step 6: Then, we covered the hair with sticky paper.
Step 7: We kept this cardboard under the sun.
Step 8: With the help of a color chart, we compared the color hairs we obtained in both experiments and recorded our observations.
1. We observed that the Red color of hair lightened faster when placed under the sun with two shades.
2. Under the UV, we found that there were no colors of hair that changed and got lighter.
3. The second color which got lightened under the sun was the synthetic red color. The synthetic red color produced two shaded when placed under the sun.
4. When placed under the sun, the light brown color of hair lightened with one shade.
5. The synthetic blond color of hair also got lightened with one side when placed under the sun.
6. However, dark brown and black did not get lightened at all.
1. Therefore, according to our result, the natural red color of the hair lightened fastest when kept under the sun.
2. The ultraviolet rays did not affect the color of the hair. This indicates that the sun’s rays have something else that is different from the ultraviolet rays.
1. Secure the hair with the help of a clothespin.
2. Use the string to tie the hair together.
In this experiment, we determined which color of hair can get lightened most under the presence of ultraviolet rays and sun rays.
Q.1 What was the aim of your experiment?
ANS. We aimed to determine the hair color that could lighten most under the sun and UV rays.
Q.2 Which color of hair gets lightened most under sunlight?
ANS. Natural red hair gets lightened most under sunlight, followed by synthetic red.
Q.3 Which color got lightened the most under a UV bulb?
ANS. UV light produced no effect on the color of the hair.
Q.4 Which color produced two shades when placed under the sun?
ANS. Natural red and synthetic red.
Q.5 Which color produced one shade when placed under the sun?
ANS. Natural light brown and synthetic blonde.
Q.6 Which color produced no shades when placed under the sun?
ANS. Natural black and natural dark brown.
Saquib Siddiqui is a Mechanical Engineer with expertise in science projects and experiments. Saquib’s work focuses on integrating scientific concepts with practical applications, making complex ideas accessible and exciting for learners of all ages. In addition to his practical work, Saquib has authored several articles, research papers, and educational materials.